Applications for September 2021 intake will open on October 1, 2020 and will close on March 1, 2021.
The MEng NAME application process is going ‘paperless’: we no longer require that official paper documents be sent to the NAME Program Office in support of an application. Instead, the Program Office will review scanned PDF versions of documents uploaded to the online application portal, and will only require official (paper) documents if an applicant is accepted. Successful applicants will receive a provisional admission offer with a deadline to submit official documents in order to receive an unconditional admission offer. No registration or start of program is allowed until the provisions are fulfilled and a new letter issued.
The following documentation is required in support of an application to the Master of Engineering program at UBC:
- Master of Engineering Program online application form and application fee. Payment by credit card (Mastercard or Visa) or debit card (CAD $100.00 domestic, CAD $162.00 international – CAD or US funds).
- Three confidential reference reports. The online application form will ask for the contact information for the referees. The referee will be invited by email and will respond by email. Applicants can check the status of submission through their online application form account. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications. Personal references are not acceptable.
- Uploaded documents. Applicants can now upload PDF scans of the following: (1) English test; (2) Proof of Canadian Permanent Residency or Canadian Citizenship (for those not born in Canada); and (3) Official academic documents. If given a provisional admission offer, the academic documents couriered must match the scans used for review in order to receive an unconditional admission letter.
Applicants with Canadian or U.S credentials
Applicants must hold the academic equivalent of a four-year bachelor’s degree in engineering from UBC, conferred at a recognized institution in North America with:
- A minimum overall average of B+ (76% at UBC) in third- and fourth-year level courses, or
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year level courses in the A-grade range (at UBC 80% or higher), or
- Applicants who do not meet either of the above requirements, but who have several years of relevant professional experience to offset such deficiencies, may be granted admission on the recommendation of the Program Director.
Applicants must hold a credential deemed comparable to a Canadian four-year bachelor’s degree in engineering, with:
- The credential being in engineering and being conferred from a recognized institute, and
- A minimum overall average equivalent to B+ (the MEng Program Office has established specific minimum admission requirements for graduates of different countries), and
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 or TOEFL iBT score of 90 (see below for specific language test requirements)
In addition to the above general requirements for admission into a Master of Engineering program at UBC, applicants to the Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering program should also meet the following requirements:
- The applicant’s bachelor’s degree should be in Civil, Materials or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent. Applicants may otherwise be granted admission on the recommendation of the Director.
- Applicants students should have demonstrated proficiency in the areas of Structural Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Automatic Controls, and Thermodynamics. Students lacking a background in these subject areas may be required to complete additional coursework at the discretion of the Program Director.
Any applicant whose degree was conferred at a university outside Canada, other than the United States, the United Kingdom, New Zealand or Australia, must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language prior to being extended an offer of admission. Test scores must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of application, and official test scores ordered from the testing agency are required for application. Photocopies of test scores are not acceptable. No test waiver is allowed.
English Proficiency Tests and Minimum Requirements
International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)
On the IELTS application form you will be asked to specify institutions where you would like the results to be sent. To ensure UBC receives your results correctly, use the following details on the application:
1. Name of institution: The University of British Columbia
2. Name of person/department: Mechanical Engineering
3. Address: 2054-6250 Applied Science Lane, Vancouver BC V6T 1Z2, Canada
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
1. Use the University of British Columbia’s institution code 0965, and the Mechanical Engineering department code 68.
2. Give the reason for taking TOEFL “to enter a college or university as a graduate student”